Over the last couple of years I've learnt more and more about the importance to 'ground' ourselves.
"Grounding is an exercise that connects you energetically to the earth. It allows you to be more authentically in your body, in the present moment, and receive nourishing energy. Grounding allows your body to use all your talents and gifts, know their value in the world and give birth to your visions and goals."
There are lots of ways you can 'ground' yourself, but one of my favs is simply to connect with the earth. When you're not grounded you may experience lightheaded, tired, disconnected, dazed, like you are floating, shaky or flighty.
My whole life I've always resisted wearing shoes. It's not a conscious thing, but whenever I can I kick my shoes off and walk around in bare feet. Growing up this included walking down to the shops in bare feet, which my mum always hated, but it's just natural for me, I don't even think about it.
Connecting with the earth, whether that is doing yoga on the grass or walking on the beach, has always been important for me, even before I knew it was a thing. Recently I've found new practices to ground myself, including certain yoga poses such as tree pose, meditation and crystals.
"Spiritual grounding (referred to by some as earthing) can help get rid of excess energy and sort of “plug” you back into Mother Earth, balancing out the energy, and getting you back in touch with your physical body."
Seven ways you can ground yourself are:
- Eat - eating reminds us that we have a physical body, and the process of digestion helps bring the energy down away from our crown and third eye chakras.
- Chocolate - chocolate is natural and grows in pods on the theobroma (cacao) tree – therefore, it’s very “earthy.”
- Connect with nature - through walking on the earth in barefeet or gardening.
- Have a salt bath - Salts are wonderful because of their natural healing properties. Add about a cup or so to the warm, running water. Sit and enjoy for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Meditation - try sitting upright in a comfy chair with your feet planted on the floor. Imagine your feet have roots (like a tree) and are anchoring themselves deep into the earth. Breathe and allow yourself to be balanced.
- Crystals and stones - certain stones and crystals are great for grounding as well. Try carrying some jasper, black kyanite, or blue kyanite in your pocket… or create a piece of jewelry with it!
- Get physical - moving your body can help you feel more centered quickly.