Last weekend I had the lovely Sarah Vassella join me to run our 'Know your Chakras' workshop. I was so excited to hold this workshop, because I didn't know much about Chakras other than what I've picked up here and there through yoga and other things.
I'd heard that there are 7, that they are energy centres in the body, and they can become blocked but that was pretty much the extent.
Chakras are the various focal points in the subtle body used in a variety of ancient meditation practices. It was theorised that the human life simultaneously exists in two parallel dimensions, the "physical body" and other "psychological, emotional, mind, non-physical", called the "subtle body". This subtle body is energy, while the physical body is mass. The subtle body consists of nadi (energy channels) connected by nodes of psychic energy it called chakra
Turns out there are a lot more than 7, and Sarah took us through 9:
- Soul Star - situated above the head, the Soul Star governs our connection to our higher self
- Crown - situated at the crown of the head, the crown chakra governs wisdom, consciousness and our souls purpose
- Third Eye - situated between the eyebrows it governs intuition, our higher purpose and inspiration
- Throat - as you'd guess this chakra is situated at the throat and governs self expression, speaking our truth and communication
- Heart - located at our heart centre, the heart chakra governs love, compassion, higher emotions (joy, elation, awe) and heaven on earth
- Solar Plexus - located below the heart and above the navel it governs the sense of personal power and will, taking action and responsibility, independence and empowerment
- Sacral - located under the navel the sacral governs the womb space, sexuality, creativity, pleasure and flow
- Root - located at the base of the spine the root governs our sense of safety and survival
- Earth Star - located below us in the earths crust, we each have an Earth Star that connects us to the earth, feeling grounded, working in harmony with Gaia (personification of the Earth in Greek mythology), at one with the earth.
After taking us through each of the Chakras Sarah led a meditation for us to connect with and observe our Chakras, which I found really interesting.
As someone who has never intentionally connected with my Chakras, I wasn't expecting anything from this meditation, however I was really surprised to find that I was able to connect with all but one, feel it, see a colour and understand it's state.
Being able to connect with my Chakras was really comforting. I felt simply felt more connected to myself, and even though some of my Chakras appeared as blocked the information was comforting.
I'm pretty sure that there will be times where I struggle to connect with my Chakras and check in with them, but when that's the case I will try to just let it be and not get frustrated.